Thursday, June 28, 2012

Things and Stuff...and more things and more stuff

Location: Brighton Park - Chicago, IL

I've moved...

AGAIN :)

This is not a complaint, in fact it's a praise. God's provision in the midst of my homelessness has been amazing to see. He has raised up caring and compassionate people to support me during this transition time.

However, the multiple moving processes has taught me one major HUGE lesson:

I HAVE TOO MUCH STUFF!

Not some clutter...

                               Not a junk drawer...

WAY TOO MUCH STUFF

I may seem a bit overdramatic but I've always had a love for the theatre :)

As someone planning to live overseas and who probably has many moves ahead the amount of stuff I've accumulated over my lifetime is a bit cumbersome. I sense a major purge coming up.

Through all of this I began thinking about materialism and my attachment to all of my things and stuff. I talked with a girl I babysit with and she said one of the most profound things that challenged my materialistic heart:

"We must live in such a way that we're ready to get up and go wherever God calls us."

3 months ago I would have said that I live this way. However, this past couple months have shown me how tied I am to my stuff, the US and this earth. Moving twice, all within 10 miles of each other, took over a dozen trips, 10 storage bins and countless man (and woman) hours. 

I'm not at all saying that creating a home, having a family and getting involved in a community is wrong. However, it's not the life I believe that God has called me to live. I hope and pray that this verse will be lived out in my life: 

"But out citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself." -Philippians 3:20-21

Enjoy the rest of your week!

1 comment:

  1. i have too many material things as well - and it is cumbersome. i have a move coming up on the horizon, though, & i also plan to do a purge. why have all these things, if i rarely - to ever - use them?

    - lauren

    ReplyDelete