Saturday, June 9, 2012

Good for you

Location: Evergreen Park, IL

I sit at the same little table almost every day. The pool binder (usually weighed down by a gallon of water), my water bottle, my Bible study book and my Bible are on the table in front of me. Scattered in between the books are highlighters, pens, permanent markers and colored pencils. As people walk by the table and sign in they usually exchange pleasantries with me and some will even have a short conversation with me.

Today, however I had a different kind of exchange while doing my Bible study (Just FYI this Bible study is blowing my mind, which I'll discuss in a future post). I was reading a couple different passages and taking notes when one of the guests came to sign out. He looked at my work and asked me, "Are you reading the Bible?" and I looked up and replied, "Yes, I am." His response confused me a bit, "Good for you. Say a couple extra prayers for me."

I couldn't tell whether or not he was joking because he'd been joking around with some other girls at the pool the entire time I had been there. He left before I had a chance to respond but his comment stayed with me for the rest of my shift.

It amazes me how many people have respect for someone who is seemingly religious even though they are apathetic towards or against religion. Having encountered people from other religions it seems they would prefer for you to a be a person dedicated to another religion than not participate in one at all. The difference between all these other religions and following Christ is that it isn't a religion. It's about pursuing a personal relationship with Christ.

This is where the confusion for me began. I wondered why this man thought that just because I was reading the Bible that my prayers for him would somehow be more effective than his own prayers? I realize the simple answer to this is that this man probably isn't a Christian. However, why then would he think that my prayers for him would be effective at all? I wish there had been time for me to ask him these questions, to see where his heart is. Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll stop by the pool again sometime and we will be able to talk further. Or maybe he was just joking and had no expectation whatsoever that I would pray for him.

No matter what his intentions were I will be praying for him. I will pray that someone will have the opportunity to explain to him that his personal prayers to God are just as valued as anyone else's. So long as he comes before God with a repentant heart seeking His will. I will pray that God will open his eyes to the truth and he will be able to join the Kingdom of God.

Have you ever encountered someone like this? What was/would be your response?


Just a little piece of the Bible study that is completely changing my view on missions

No comments:

Post a Comment