Monday, July 9, 2012

The study that blew my mind

Location: Brighton Park - Chicago, IL

Finally, the post about the Bible study I talked about here and here.

I never really understood God's heart for the nations. I used to think going overseas and bearing witness was the means and the end of the mandate of the church. After this study I began to have a whole new perspective about God's heart.

In reality, the means AND the end is worship. Preoccupations with numbers and attracting people from the outside has twisted what the church is supposed to be doing all over the world. It has give birth to unbiblical methodologies.

This study looks at the mandate of the church through God's eyes, not man's. When I stopped and realized it is through our own personal worship that we draw others to God, I see how I've been doing it all wrong.

We cannot give what we do not have.

We cannot keeping giving what we don't keep getting.

Our hearts must be full in order for us to share with others.

In addition, this study included some shocking statistics about the focus of the church when it comes to reaching out. The majority of the church's resources go towards places which already have witnesses, speak English and don't require creative access.

However, the Biblical precedent set by Paul demonstrates a desire to preach where there are not witnesses. Where people are hostile. Where people whose name will be written in the Book of Life live. God loves these people and desires them to hear the real Good News.

It is for these reasons and many more that I am going. If you want to know more, email me :)

Good night!

1 comment:

  1. this is so awesome:) just found your blog and love it. Have you heard of the Perspectives class? My husband and I took it, and it's all about God's heart for the nations...so amazing! excited you are stepping out to go! excited to follow your adventure! love Katie

    ReplyDelete