Friday, July 20, 2012

On Resting

Location: Old Town - Chicago, IL

I'm naturally a busy body. I have a hard time slowing down, being still and enjoying silence. I like to be out and about and I struggle with taking the appropriate time to rest.

I'm what I've come to describe as an outgoing introvert. There is a common misconception that shy/quiet is synonymous with introvert and outgoing/loud is synonymous with extrovert. In reality the two terms have to deal with from where you get your energy. While I enjoy being around people and being social it takes every ounce of energy I have. For me to be able to recharge and truly relax I need to spend time by myself; even though I still need to be doing something, writing, listening to music or reading a good book.

As a result, I don't rest enough. I go to be too late and I get up to early, attempting to do everything on my own strength. Recently God convicted me with these two verses:

                                                          Unless the LORD builds the house,
those who build it labor in vain.
    Unless the LORD watches over the city,
the watchman stays awake in vain.
It is in vain that you rise up early
and go late to rest,
eating the bread of anxious toil;
for he gives to his beloved sleep.
(Psalm 127:1-2 ESV)

I have an erroneous belief that if I don't do something it'll never get done, like I'm in control. God is teaching me that I need to surrender my desire for control and trust in His plan. This is lesson is becoming very practical as I prepare to move overseas. Details are changing every day. New problems crop up every time I try to take a step forward. I've learned to leave it in God's hands and wait for the next step He gives me.

What has God been teaching you lately?

4 comments:

  1. I'm constantly turning back to Psalm 127:1. I strive to make that my foundation. This was well written, Tiff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i definitely need to surrender my desire for control - that's a big one with me.

    and i, too, am an outgoing introvert. i have learned that it is absolutely essential that i get my alone time to recharge & relax - it's so important!

    - lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some convicting verses! I've been learning the difference between physical rest (important) and spiritually resting in the Lord (also very important!). I tend to rest by vegging out in front of Netflix or taking an extended nap. But He desires us to also find refreshment through extended time of prayer, study and meditation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my daughter and son-in-law went through their pre-marriage counselling this is one subject they warned Shawn about. Melanie needs a lot of alone time to recharge after being with people.

    Ouch on control. Surrendering that daily. God's been teaching me to live with a more focused purpose.

    ReplyDelete