Sunday, July 8, 2012

Why I Hate Money

Location: Brighton Park - Chicago, IL

I. HATE. MONEY.

Tangent: I wonder if this makes me the opposite of evil (cf. 1 Timothy 6:10)? I know that it doesn't but it was a thought that popped into my mind :)


I wish that I lived in a world where money isn't necessary. Where I wouldn't have to worry about having to much or not enough. Where I wouldn't have to keep track of one more thing in my life.

Of course, money is among the most frequently discussed topics in the Bible (I haven't had a chance to confirm whether or not the rumor about it being the most discussed is true). Regardless, it is quite popular and is directly tied to the the virtues of faith and generosity.

As someone who is looking to live a faith/support based lifestyle the topic of money is touchy. I just sent out a whole host of letters asking if people would join my support team for my upcoming trip overseas. I really hate the idea of asking people for money, especially people that I know.

However, I'm reading this amazing book called Friend Raising and it's helped me realize my attitude towards money and support raising has been all wrong.

I do an average job keeping in touch with people about what I do when I'm overseas and an so-so job about what happens when I'm in the States. This is mainly done through newsletters that I send out on, at least, a monthly basis. I didn't realize these newsletters are not enough for building partnerships with people.

I haven't finished the book but so far some of the challenges I've taken away are...

1. Be a listener- as much as I've changed while overseas the people back home have been changing and growing as well. My role isn't to come back home and unload all of my stories. Part of developing relationships is listening to the other persons stories. 

2. Don't look at people with dollar signs in your eyes- I've intellectually known this for awhile but I've realized more and more lately that if I am to be fruitful it's going to take a lot more than money. Looking beyond how much money people can give to me is vital in order for me to build a solid network of supporters.

3. Be generous- I've always used the excuse that "I'm a poor college student" or "I'm not going to have a real paycheck" to not give to others in my same position. However, how can I expect people to be willing to give to me if I'm not willing to give to others? *Ouch*

4. Make communication personal- this one was the most convicting to me. I send out mass emails and newsletters and I feel, as I'm sure my supporters do, disconnected. So this time I sent out a paper copy of my letter and enclosed a note for each person/family. In addition, I hand wrote all of the addresses. I realized how out of touch I was with most of my supporters when it came to writing a note. For some of them I had no idea what was going on in their lives. I'm committing to change that starting now.

As I said these are only some of the lessons I've learned. After I finish the book, I'll write a whole review. If you would like to receive one of these letters in the mail and/or would like to be added to my distribution list send me an email with your info and I'll get one out to you ASAP :)

The letter sending process:


My box full of letters!


My stationery and stamps...I thought the Disney stamps were a nice touch :)


One day and 52 letters later (this picture is intentionally blurred and smaller because people's personal info is on these envelopes).

No comments:

Post a Comment