Friday, July 6, 2012

Battling Loneliness and Finding Community

Location: Old Town - Chicago, IL

*I haven't been on Blogger in a couple days so this a belated 4th of July post*

I've been struggling with loneliness lately. 

Not for romantic reasons but just plain friendship reasons. 

The majority of my friends are scattered around the globe as they have just graduated or are on summer break from school. I'm currently the only college student in a Mexican church. All of my jobs, save one, require me to work alone or with small children. I miss hanging out with people who are in the same stage of life as me. I miss processing life with other young women. Lucky for me I have some dear friends; Dawn, Whitney and Annie who have been up for texting and calling. However, I was longing to see people face to face.

Lucky for me Elizabeth and Gabby came to the rescue :) Elizabeth invited me out for breakfast on Monday and subsequently invited me to hang out with them on the 4th of July. It's amazing how much my stress and loneliness level decreased after one evening with these ladies. I praise God that He brought these young women in my life.

However, through this I became convicted of my lack of dependence on Jesus to soothe my loneliness. I've talked about Jesus being all that I need but in this area of my life I struggle. I forget that Jesus knew exactly what it was like to be lonely and isolated, the epitome of this being on the Cross. I have the ability to lay my loneliness at His feet and He will comfort me. He chose me and redeemed me. This allows me to live in Christ and stand before my God healed and whole. Thank you Jesus.

Now for a couple pictures:


The fireworks :)


Elizabeth, Gabby and I ready for 3-D Fireworks!

P.S. I planning on writing the post about the Bible study I did here soon!

Have a blessed weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you've been feeling lonely. I experience that sometimes even when I do have someone. I know I'm not physically there, but I'm always here if you want to email and chat! Cute 4th of July picture, too. Looks like you had a lot of fun.

    Amanda at we & serendipity

    ReplyDelete