Friday, August 31, 2012

In Action

I don't have all my pictures ready just yet. Or my video with the tour of the apartment.

Things will be a lot easier next week when I'm at the school with more internet access. However, I would love to share with you a little be about my Friday...

The weekends here are Friday and Saturday because Friday is considered the holy day...so cool right? So I got to go to fellowship this morning for the first time. The church is larger than I expected (2 services with 200-300 people at each). We got to meet many interesting people and already have a lunch invitation for next week! There isn't a Spanish speaking service like I was hoping but there is a small group led by a man and his wife who are from Argentina.

I'M. SO. EXCITED.

Hopefully, this means I will learn Arabic and not lose my Spanish at the same time *fingers crossed*.

Today, because it was a fifth Friday, it was a family friendly service. So kids of all ages led the singing, did the announcements (in which all the new people got to stand up and introduce themselves) and were the ushers. Then we heard a wonderful message on Philemon.

When was the last time you heard a good message on Philemon? I racked my brain and I'm not sure that I've every actually heard a MESSAGE (not lecture) on Philemon. It was all about putting faith into action. Keeping our eyes open to be able to put into practice the things we have learned from the Word. Paul encouraged Philemon and commended him for being a good servant but then challenged him.

Challenged him to forgive.

Challenged him to let go.

Challenged him to put into practice what he had learned from Paul.

Fitting don't you think?

I'm about to start my first week teaching in a different country. It's time to practice what I've learned.

Missing all of you,

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing! It's amazing you have a special space to fellowship with others:) All your talk on Philemon makes me want to go read it now, hehe! have a GREAT weekend sweet girl, love Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh friend, I love that you are starting it all now :) Got your precious card and prayer card in the mail. It is hanging up as we speak on my prayer board and I pray for you DAILY :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... I don't recall ever hearing a sermon from Philemon now that I think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeeeekkk! My heart is just so joyful for you. Glad you're starting to settle in a little. I'll email you back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you've settled in well! I'm excited to read more!
    (ps. you're right. i don't think i've ever heard an actual message on philemon. to be really honest with you i don't think i've ever heard anything more about philemon that the occasional passing reference and when reciting the books of the new testament.)

    ReplyDelete