Thursday, September 6, 2012

What I'm Learning {Teaching Edition}


-Decorating a classroom can be quite a challenge...especially without a fun assistant (*cough cough* Samantha).

-Pay attention when you’re walking in the front door. Meeting times and places may be posted on the front door. Especially, if no schedule was given for the week.

-Contact paper makes a good substitute for lamination when the laminating machine is too small for your posters.

-Making an extra portion of dinner is a great way to make lunch for the following day.

-The first week of school here is very low pressure. The class lists won’t even be finalized to the end of the first week which means I won’t be expected to do much until week 3 at the earliest.

-Being on support staff is fantastic because you don’t have a full class on the first day.

-Getting rid of extra desks should be done on day one of teacher work week instead of day four.

-Finding a theme for your classroom should be done BEFORE teacher work week instead of on day four.

-Bulletin boards are not fun for non-artsy people like me. Finding borders, background paper and accents on the other side of the world is quite interesting

-I’m so excited for the school year to start! I can’t wait to meet all the kids :)

My classroom isn’t quite finished yet and I’m one of those people who doesn’t like to publish things before they’re completely ready. However, I do have the before pictures to give you an idea. 

On that note I still haven’t completely finished my bedroom but I promise I’ll finish this weekend and post stuff next week!


My bulletin board...still decorated from last year


The view from my classroom windows. We'll probably have the shades down most of the time otherwise it'll get to hot!


My very first teacher desk :)


One bookshelf, waiting for the next one.


This, my friends, is a SMARTBoard. Jealous?


My air conditioners, the two most important items in my classroom.


THAT'S ME!


So many desks!


Lots of books...


and more books...


and more books...


and more books.


Posters for the classroom


I'm a fan of grammar


A big fan


Maybe a huge fan ;)

And now a little video tour...

It's going to be a wonderful school year!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness gracious! You have no idea how excited I was when I saw your name pop up when I logged into Blogger! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this post and I so wish I could be there to help decorate/organize. I have an entire board on Pinterest dedicated to classroom decoration so this is right up my alley. I can't wait to talk to you via Skype in a few weeks after you get a school schedule down. We have to set a date! It's not negotiable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... you could put up a nice border, a colorful background paper and then let the kids display their work on the bulletin board =)

    P.S. The little video tutorial is set to private so we can't view it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea! the video is working now =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! so glad things are going well so far! i can't wait to hear and read more!

    ReplyDelete