Thursday, September 13, 2012

A Thousand Gifts: Perspective

”book


The first chapter of Ann Voskamp’s A Thousand Gifts is a poignant set up for what I’m sure is going to be a life-altering read. Voskamp writes with such a raw, heart-breaking honesty I was moved to tears. I read this chapter during the first week of school, while experiencing a challenging transition, and it put things in perspective for me. During this week every fiber of my being wanted to quit, to give up and go home. Everything seemed too hard. Then I read about Aimee’s death. I read about Austin and Dietrich suffering from a terminal disease. I read about the Israelites wandering in the desert eating manna. 

My point of view completely shifted. I realized I was refusing to be nourished by the mystery. I wasn’t looking for God through the holes in my life. I was convicted but even more I was moved to action. I no longer want to clench my fists and say no to God. I accept the dare to live an emptier, fuller life.

“Just that maybe you don’t want to change the story, because you don’t know what a different ending holds.”

7 comments:

  1. Love your thoughts here...especially how you said you weren't willing to seek God in the holes of life. That is a truth I struggle with as well! Very excited to see where God leads you through this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read this twice now and I know I will keep coming back to it in the future as well. Her words changed my perspective on a multitude of things. Glad you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Just that maybe you don’t want to change the story, because you don’t know what a different ending holds.” Yes, I loved this line too! It's easy to forget that God shows Himself through holes in our lives, through the mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more! I was balling after reading just 2 pages and I'm not a cryer. But I'm also in a time of transition and a time of waiting and like you said, this chapter truly put my situation into perspective. And it spurred in me a desire to pursue God and the manna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this, love this, love this. praying He uses this to give you strength to keep working for His glory!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's so wonderful how in every post I've read, this book has spoken to that person with what they're going through in their life and each person is experiencing something different. It's amazing how that works out. I look forward to continuing to see your thoughts on this book as the weeks go on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this quote at the end - thought provoking!

    ReplyDelete